Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I wouldn't want to get lost out here...

Over the weekend me, Jason and another couple went on a swamp tour together. This was a first for me so I didn't really know what to expect and didn't really have high expectations to say the least. I just figured since I live in Louisiana I should go one one...plus I found a deal for on on living social, 2 people for $10 !

We saw a lot of houses like this on the swamp. Our tour guide told us how the swamp is public property and anyone can tie up a boat or a house on a floating barge like this and live for free. There's no property tax out there. 

We saw quite a few houses like this out there too. These are houses that were abandoned after hurricane Katrina. Of course when your living on the swamp, you can't get flood insurance so if something happens to your home...we'll your up the swamp w/out a paddle. 
If you look closely you can see the turtle (middle of the pic) and an alligator (right side of the pic)



This boat was also damaged by Katrina. The owner of the boat was a shrimp fisherman who didn't renew his insurance on it so it now sits abandoned. 
Our swamp tour guide told us that after Katrina this boat house was stuck in a tree 20 ft high b/c that's how high the storm surge was. After the water receded, it stayed stuck in the tree for 2 years until it eventually fell and has been sitting there ever since. 
After spending my afternoon in the boonies I needed to get my ass to the city for a bit; and I was hungry lol. We went to the Louisiana Pizza Kitchen which is in the french market.  Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the chicken pizza we had cause I was so hungry. It was delish though :)
On the way back to our car I noticed this super funny bumper sticker and just had to take a pic of it. I wonder if that would really work if you were to get pulled over by a cop lol. 


What did you do over the weekend?

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Love the photos and the stories you told.

That's crazy about the shrimp boat after so many years it's still looks pretty decent, well at least in the pic. Amazing how stuff just 'sits' there until it somehow perishes!

Thank you for sharing, LA is one of my TOP places I want to ever visit in life! LOL Call me crazy but I want to see it all.

Natalie

| C AND C | Sarmin said...

This makes wanna visit Nola even more now! I swear I just need to book a ticket & just go.

xo SARMIN

Kim Axani said...

These photos are amazing! Can't beleive that capsized boat, it's so big to just be left there forever. I've always been fascinated with the Louisiana swamps and bayous, thet are king of mysterious, like you don't know what's out there.

Fash Boulevard said...

oh my goodness, these pictures are insane. on the bright side, i LOVE your sunnies. super cute. amazing post, love. if you get a second, please check out my JewelMint photo shoot. Love to hear what you think. xo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

james said...

these photos are so heartbreaking <3

i hope that your week went well darling!
xx jamie

Unknown said...

You ain't kidding neither would I...It looks so scary.! and OMG that's a crazy bumper sticker. LOL


<3 Marina
Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

Nandia said...

Hello honey!Thank you so much for your sweet comment!By the way love your blog!I am your NEW FOLLOWER!
Lots of kisses,Nandia.
http://femmefatale-nandia.blogspot.com/

Maryam Maquillage said...

wow these photos are insane!!! it's amazing what mother nature can do. as i write, i look out the window at the falling blizzard-like snow and i'm petrified. It's only October and I'm in New York...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...